Murringo is a historic village located 25 km east of Young and 137 km from Canberra (via Boorowa). It is one of those Australian villages where time has stood still. Driving through it today it is hard to imagine that in the 1860s, when the whole area was awash with bush rangers and gold prospectors, a newspaper described the town as ‘a public thoroughfare and rendezvous for horse stealers and bush rangers, being in the very heart of the lawless district’.
Located midway between Young and Boorowa, Murringo is one of the earliest settlements west of the Great Dividing Range and has a rich past. Historic buildings remain including the former blacksmith’s shop opened in 1879 and the public school built in 1870, which remains the hub of village life today.
Murringo Village Markets are held quarterly. A visit to the bushman museum and tribute centre at the Taubman and Webb Trading Post (which also doubles as a wine tasting venue for nearby Trandari Wines) as well as Coronation Collectables - a gorgeous antique shop housed in the old police station are a must!
The Museum and Tribute Centre to the late Bushman & whip maker, Syd Bayliss, and to Richard Taubman who has kept his trades and stories alive for over 30 years. On display are many leather products, artifacts, tools and items used by Syd and Richard. On sale are numerous plaited leather products, hats, boots and much more. The Centre also acts as a Cellar Door for nearby Trandari Wines. Murringo is part of the Hilltops Wine Region which surrounds Young.