New look 2021 harvest celebration for Young
Expect plenty of fun and surprises at the new look cherry harvest festival in Young this year with a very cherry street party, light installations, roving entertainers, busking, a pop-up art exhibition, and augmented reality activities to create a distinctive new vibe over the weekend of December 3, 4 and 5.
Cherry harvest celebrations in the Hilltops region have switched from the traditional National Cherry Festival activities to a slimmed down version, Cherry Festival Lite, which promises fresh new spectacles and activities to delight all.
“The move away from the traditional National Cherry Festival format was necessitated by COVID-19 restrictions that ruled out most time -honoured events of the past,” said National Cherry Festival president Ms Caitlan Sheehan.
“This has made way for a fresh new approach this year, with a more community-based event dictated by necessity. However, when health orders change the committee expect a return to a more traditional, expansive festival in future years,” she said.
Cherry Festival Lite will be held from Friday December 3 to Sunday December 5 and offers a smorgasbord of attractions including:
· A very cherry street party with late night shopping from 5pm to 9pm on Friday night and a very cherry street party from 9am to 12noon on Saturday.
· Light installations illuminating some beautiful Boorowa Street buildings in a myriad of colours, patterns and designs, from sunset to 10pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
· Street entertainers introducing unique experiences for Young, with surprise elements delivered by Hilltops Regional Theatre Company.
· Circus Performers, acrobats and street buskers.
· A business and residential Christmas Light display and competition, with residents. Big prizes to be won and customers invited to vote for their favourites.
· Young & Region Farmers Markets 9am to 1pm, Saturday December 4 and Sunday December 5 at Anderson Park.
· Cherry King/Queen competition Coronation Dinner on Saturday December 4, where 2021 title holders will be announced. Bookings for this event can be made at the Services Club.
· Augmented reality colouring in activity with a chance to bring to life, via app, to your own colouring in character as it transforms into a quirky video.
· Saturday Pop up art exhibition on the railway platform presented by the Young Society of Artists which will be accompaniment by musical entertainment from local performer, Judy Barker.
· Giant Fun Fair, Carnival rides at the Showground, a stand-alone event featuring Saturday night fireworks.
· Millard Centre Christmas Market with market stalls laden with festival gift suggestions. There will also be some quilts on display.
· Cherry Festival Lite Concert at Young Library, Lynch Street featuring Katelyn from 12.30pm, bookings required as numbers are limited. Phone 6384 2440.