Rye Park is a small village nestled in a scenic rural setting and is a 20 minute drive east of Boorowa, 30 minutes north of Yass and 70 minutes west from Goulburn. Pioneers first settled in the area in the 1840s to farm the land and, although there were brief periods of mining for silver and tin, today’s residents are still mainly occupied in the production of wool and meat.
It is the natural attractions that are the main drawcard to the area. Rye Park is situated on the Pudman Creek which is a pristine waterway inhabited by platypus, turtles, frogs and the endangered Pigmy Perch. Getting away from the main road and taking the back roads towards the hills leads to crossings of the Pudman Creek and Lagoon Creek, lined with their majestic old trees. Echidna can often be seen wandering along the edges of the roads. Rye Park is a bird lover’s delight with over 100 different birds sighted in the area. It is in the migratory path of many birds and is a breeding area for the threatened Superb Parrot. Wedge-tailed eagles can be seen soaring in the sky over the hills and they nest in the wooded areas. Wrens and finches are in abundance. Beautiful little Superb Fairy wrens and Red-brow finches can be spotted in the safety of gardens and in areas of dense trees and shrubs.
IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF HAMILTON HUME
Evidence of the village’s early settlers can still be found. Hamilton Hume’s family settled in the area in 1865 at ‘Everton’ and immediately established their renowned superfine merino stud. Their homestead (originally named Llangrove by William Howell in about 1840) remains relatively unchanged from its original construction and it is still a privately owned working sheep property.
Reportedly one of the earliest vineyards in Australia was planted at ‘Ainsbury’ in Rye Park. Unfortunately it no longer exist. Some of the village’s early buildings are still evident in the main street such as the butchers, the bakers and the Bush Nurses Home, but they are in need of renovation.
Unpowered camping facilities are available for public use at the Recreation Ground located in the centre of the village and B&B accommodation is available at the Old School Country Retreat.